Jerry Maida, M.D., M.B.A.
Dr. Maida is recognized world-wide as an authority on refractive surgery and LASIK. He performs thousands of refractive procedures yearly, more than anyone in North Florida. He is among the most experienced LASIK surgeons in the world. Dr. Maida has been using the Excimer laser for over 25 years, seven years longer than anyone else in Northeast Florida. He was also the first to perform the LASIK procedure in Northeast Florida, in 1996. Dr. Maida has been the recipient of the National and International Summit/Autonomous Excellence awards twice; only 20 and 25 (respectively) of the most experienced surgeons in the world received these awards. Dr. Maida is the only corneal refractive specialist in Northeast Florida dedicating his practice to refractive surgery.
After only three years of undergraduate study, Dr. Jerry Maida was accepted to the New Jersey College of Medicine without a diploma. After completion of his medical studies, he was the recipient of a New Jersey College of Medicine Fellowship that gave him an opportunity to work in the “bush” of Tanzania and study tropical disease medicine and work as a medical missionary. Dr. Maida was a Naval Flight Surgeon and pilot in the early 1970’s, and he served his residency at the Wills Eye Hospital in Philadelphia in 1976. He then undertook a fellowship in cornea and anterior segment surgery under Dr. John Sheets in Texas. He earned an MBA from the Wharton School of business in Philadelphia in 1992.
Dr. Maida organized the first Excimer Laser clinics in the countries of Colombia, Peru and Ecuador in 1993. He trained over 100 surgeons in these countries in courses given with other world-renowned authorities. He has been in practice in Jacksonville for over 30 years, and throughout that time he has been a leader in the field of vision correction.
- 1977-78 – Helped pioneer outpatient cataract surgery and lens implantation
- 1981 – Began performing radial keratotomy (RK) and YAG laser surgery.
- 1989 – Selected by Summit Technology to participate in FDA clinical trials.
- 1989 – First to use Summit Excimer Laser in Florida and the sixth in the United States.
- 1995 – One of the first in Florida and in the United States to perform the PRK laser procedure after its approval by the FDA.
- 1996 – The first in Northeast Florida to perform the LASIK procedure.
- 1999 – Received Distinguished National Award from Summit Technology for excellence in LASIK. Only 20 ophthalmologists share this prestigious membership into the Summit Apex Plus Society.
- 2000 – Received the Distinguished International Award from Summit/Autonomous for excellence in LASIK. First to acquire the Autonomous Tracking Laser in Jacksonville. One of the first in the country to perform Hyperopic Astigmatism treatment after FDA approval.
- 2002 – Only surgeon in Northeast Florida selected to offer conductive keratoplasty “CK.” First to utilize Wavefront technology in a private practice setting in the state of Florida.
- 2003 – June 30th first to utilize IntraLase®- All laser LASIK in combination with LADARvision Wavefront technology in Florida.
- 2010 & 2012 – Medical Missionary in Romania.
- 1999-2016 – His Hobby – Mountain climbing has taken him to Everest seven times, Annapurna, Kachunjunga, Kilimanjaro, Grand Tetons, Patagonia, Machu Pichu and Mt. McKinley.
- 2016 – Dr. Maida merges his practice with Drs. Amit Chokshi and Akbar Hasan of Florida Eye Specialists to now form the largest group of fellowship-trained LASIK surgeons in the region.
- TODAY – Dr. Maida has performed more than 22,000 LASIK procedures and 37,000 eye surgeries overall.
Amit Chokshi, M.D.
A board-certified ophthalmologist, Dr. Amit Chokshi is highly trained in laser vision correction and is a graduate of the University of Miami’s Miller School of Medicine. After completing his residency at Vanderbilt Medical Center, where he began performing refractive eye surgery, Dr. Chokshi was awarded a fellowship at Laser and Corneal Surgery Associates at the New York Eye and Ear Infirmary, where he specialized in refractive and corneal surgery. Dr. Chokshi went on to serve as the director of the University Of Florida Laser Eye Center. He also held the positions of assistant professor and director of the cornea and external disease division at the UF Department of Ophthalmology. Dr. Chokshi is fellowship trained in cornea, cataracts and is a LASIK specialist with Florida Eye Specialists. Dr. Chokshi was also named Chief of Ophthalmology at Baptist Medical Center for 2015 & 2016.
As children of Indian immigrants, Dr. Chokshi and his sister were raised in the United States, mostly in South Florida. After his training, Dr. Chokshi and his wife, Megha, moved to Jacksonville in 2004. They have the privilege and joy of raising their four children; Sofia, Sahana, Simryn and Sagar. In his free time, Dr. Chokshi enjoys playing golf and regularly exercising. Some of his favorite activities include Crossfit, Running, Weight Lifting, Yoga, and Kickboxing.
Dr. Chokshi originally chose ophthalmology in medical school because of the unique combination of being able to combine his love of surgery to heal while also developing long term relationships with his patients. Dr. Chokshi truly feels blessed to be an ophthalmologist that is able to touch so many lives in a meaningful way. Having been a LASIK patient himself allows him unique perspective of what the experience is like from the patient’s side and also what a thrill it is to have one’s vision corrected. Treating his patients as if they were his family is a priority that allows his patient’s the most compassionate patient care.
See What People Are Saying About Dr. Chokshi:
S. Akbar Hasan, M.D.
Dr. S. Akbar Hasan is a board-certified, fellowship-trained cornea, laser refractive, and cataract specialist. Dr. Hasan served as the lead cataract and corneal surgeon and Director of the Laser Vision Correction Program for the Mayo Clinic for ten years. Dr. Hasan has tremendous surgical experience in corneal transplantation, laser cataract surgery with premium intraocular lenses and LASIK.
Dr. Hasan provides comprehensive eye examinations for cataracts, refractive surgery (LASIK), corneal diseases such as corneal infections and scars, pterygia, dry eye, and blepharitis, diabetes, and other eye diseases. Dr. Hasan continues to engage in research, present at national meetings and publish in the peer-reviewed literature.
See What People Are Saying About Dr. Hasan:
Christian Guier, O.D., F.A.A.O.
Dr. Christian P. Guier is a highly experienced Board-Certified Optometrist and a graduate of Nova Southeastern University College of Optometry. During his residency at the Bascom Palmer Eye Institute, University of Miami, Dr. Guier participated in the management of Glaucoma, Neuro-ophthalmology, Corneal Disease, Vitreo-Retinal Service, Ocular Oncology, Oculoplastics, Pediatrics, Geriatrics/Low Vision and Primary Optometric Care. Following his residency, Dr. Guier accepted a position at Mayo Clinic, where his specialty practice included therapeutic contact lenses for ocular disease. In his more than 20 years at Mayo, he performed comprehensive medical eye evaluations, co-managed ophthalmic surgery, and participated in research projects and clinical studies.
Dr. Guier has served as an examiner and item writer for the National Board of Examiners in Optometry and the Florida Board of Optometry. Additionally, he is an active member of several professional organizations including the American Board of Certification in Medical Optometry, the American Academy of Optometry, the American Optometric Association, the Florida Optometric Association, and the Northeast Florida Optometric Society.
Focusing on You
Maida CustomVision’s national and international activities keep us abreast of the latest technological and procedural advances. We are dedicated to using this knowledge to give our patients better vision. Our focus is to perform the best refractive surgery possible, to provide the utmost in overall quality of care and to be known as technological leader in advancement and refinement of refractive technology. Drs. Maida, Chokshi, Hasan, and Guier and our staff would welcome the opportunity to meet with you and help you determine whether laser vision correction could help you see life in a new way.
Dr. Maida’s Professional Affiliations And Society Memberships:
- Board Certified by American Board of Ophthalmology
- Diplomate, National Board of Medical Examiners
- Diplomate, American Board Of Ophthalmology
- Wharton School of Business Alumni Club
- American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery
- International Society of Refractive Surgery
- Duval County Medical Society