Hear from our Clinical Director and Laser Suite Supervisor, D.D. Jewell, about what you can expect during your complimentary LASIK…
Maida Custom Vision has built a strong reputation for excellent patient care in the greater Jacksonville area. Much of this is thanks to our use of advanced vision technology and laser eye surgery techniques. One of the common problems that we notice in a number of our patients is presbyopia. Lets take a moment to consider it right now and how the condition can be treated.
Presbyopia refers to a type of age-related farsightedness (hyperopia) that occurs as people grow older. This means that as people reach middle age and get older, they will find that their vision of nearby objects is blurrier.
What causes presbyopia to happen?
There are different assumptions as to the mechanisms that cause presbyopia to occur, but the primary reason has to do with the flexibility of the lens of the eye. As the lens loses flexibility with age, it is unable to adjust focus on nearby objects. A weakening of the muscles that control the lens of the eye can also lead to presbyopia.
Is presbyopia preventable?
No. Presbyopia is just a part of getting older. You can’t prevent it, but you can notice signs of it and it can be treated quite easily.
Symptoms of Presbyopia
Common symptoms and early signs of presbyopia include the following:
- Problems with reading small print
- Need for brighter lights when reading
- Problems focusing on reading material
- Frequent squinting to look at nearby objects
- Eyestrain and headaches
- Eye fatigue
Should you notice these symptoms, meet with an eye doctor to get properly diagnosed and treated.
Treatment Options for Presbyopia
The most common treatment options for presbyopia include the following:
- Monovision LASIK Surgery – LASIK involves the use of a surgical laser to reshape the cornea and improve the way that light focuses on the retinas. Monovision LASIK involves the correction of one eye for near vision and the other for distance vision.
- Conductive Keratoplasty (CK) – CK is an alternative to LASIK that uses radiofrequency waves to reshape the corneas rather than a laser. A similar treatment to monovision LASIK is considered for treating presbyopia.
- Intraocular Lenses (IOLs) – IOLs are artificial lenses that can be used to replace the natural lens of the eye.
- Prescription Eyeglasses and Contacts – If surgery is not an ideal option for a patient, prescription glasses (bifocals or multiple pairs of glasses) or contact lenses can be used.
Determining the Ideal Treatment Option for You and Your Needs
As you can see, there are many ways that your vision can be enhanced if you suffer from presbyopia. The most important thing to us is that the patient understands the nature of the treatment that he or she will undergo and makes smart choices about them.
During the consultation process, we will provide you with ample information about all of your treatment options and which would be ideal for you given your current health. We will make sure that all of your questions are answered and concerns addressed.
Schedule a Consultation at Maida Custom Vision
For more information about treating presbyopia and what you can do to ensure your vision is its very best for years and years to come, be sure to contact our laser eye surgery center today. The entire team at Maida Custom Vision looks forward to your visit and helping you achieve excellent eye health and vision quality.